It’s that time of year again, the air seems fresher, the holiday clothes and suitcases are being packed away, school uniforms bought. In the words of the great Don Henley ‘The summer’s out of reach ..’
I hope you made the most of the long hot summer days (and the rainy ones too) to make the most of being outdoors and late nights with your loved ones.
Some of you might be looking forward to the kids going back so you can finally take some holiday and spend time together. But eventually we get home, and wouldn’t it be nice to hold on to some of that connection, to slow things down the rest of the year.
I was thinking about this for myself. Spending time away from work has been great for family relationships, so I put together some ideas about how to continue this for the rest of the year. Here are some of the ideas I came up with, some of which I do already and some I’m going to try out.
- Booking at least one full day every month and clearing it as couple or family time.
- Trying something completely new as a couple or family once a month
- Putting phones away as much as possible
- Getting outdoors whatever the weather
- Being a ‘tourist at home’ and exploring your local area
- Starting conversations with strangers and friends about what’s fun to do in your local area
Which of these ideas are catching your eye?
Would they be easy or difficult to do, and why?
Could you commit to trying just one of these and letting me know how you get on?